Alright, here we go with another 10 Things I Think I Think. As always, thanks to Peter King at the MMBQ for the idea (always love reading his)…..
1. I think driving in the FLL has given me a new appreciation for NASCAR. I used to be amazed out how they drove so fast with so little room between them and other cars. Now, yes they drive at must faster speeds….but lets see them try to drive in close space with dogs, cows, people walking, people riding bikes, motocycles, 3-wheelers, small cars, big cars, buses, and cargo trucks all running 3 wide on a 1 lane road.
2. I think Scripture memory is way under-rated. I never really got into much (and if I did I sure don’t remember them now). Actually, I probably know more verses in Hindi than I do in English! However, I highly recommend the Fighter Verses app from Desiring God. It’s on your phone; it gives you quizzes to practice. It’s great! I started it right before Christmas, and I love it. Even on those days where life is crazy and a quiet time is non-existent, I can still “feed on the Word.”
3. Here are a few things I think about our vacation in Thailand…
a) Thai fashion is off the charts weird. No words to describe.
b) It was quite refreshing not to see people peeing on the side of the road.
c) I love some Indian food, but I really love beef!
d) Krispy Kreme is in Bangkok……(you see the “Hot Now” light)
e) There is also a Sizzler with an all you can eat salad bar!
f) I think it’s weird that I was excited about an all you can eat salad bar!
g) Bumrungrad hospital has got to be in the Top 5 best hospitals in the world. Amazing!
h) I thought I had seen some nice malls in America. In Bangkok, bigger and nicer malls exist on EVERY CORNER!
i) Also beware the night market…(eyes forward or straight down….just saying)
j) Forgot how much I really love thick chocolate milkshakes.
4. I think I wish I had written down more of what I think. 10 things is hard…
5. I think that it would be hard to go back to America and work an office job. For 2 years, I have been working from home. Beth and I are together most everyday. I see my kids all the time. When I do travel, I’m gone for 3-4 days; however, when I am home I am home. I can’t imagine only seeing my kids for a few hours a day before bedtime, or not having Beth around all day to talk with. While there are some downsides to the job we have, this isn’t one of them!
6. I also think that working from home is tough. Having to go from a structured office job to working from home with no real schedule or routine was really hard. But here we are 2 years in and I think we finally are understanding how it works. There are no real office hours so sometimes work happens early, sometimes late, or sometimes all throughout the day. Yet we love what we do so that is what matters!
7. Final thoughts about football…
a) I should have won the company fantasy fooball league. There was a tie in the semi-finals, but espn rules say that the higher seed moves on…I wasn’t the higher seed. I would have won had I been in the finals.
b) I should have won the CCBC fantasy football league. I had 1 bad week in the quarterfinals; that’s all it takes. I would have won both the semi-final game and the championship game.
c) I was right that the CCBC East division was the hardest. Congrats Jeremy on the win!
d) The “should haves” are for our CCBC Commish, Mr. Miller. He loves it when I trash talk in the past. He says I learned it as a Duke fan.
e) Speaking of Duke, I got to watch Duke play in December….and it was a football game! We should have beat A&M. In other news, I can’t name 1 player on Duke’s team.
8. I think it is crazy that we will be heading back to America for our furlough in 18 months. There is so much happening in 2014 that I know it will come quickly. We are looking forward to the many volunteer teams coming to visit. I am also super excited to release our 6 church planters to begin training others! They have been so faithful these past 6 months in sharing the gospel and seeing new churches started in brand new areas!
9. I think it is so much fun having 2 daughters. Maddie and Mahaney have been so much fun this past year. It has been a joy seeing them grow and mature. Maddie is learning so much in school, and Mahaney is really developing her own personality. They love to play monster and hide-n-seek and spin around with daddy, and they also love to just cuddle while we watch their girly, kiddy cartoons.
think know that I have a wonderful wife. In December, we celebrated 8 years of marriage! What has amazed me the most is that the learning process never stops. I am still learning new things about her. And not just new things, but we are also growing deeper in our relationship. Working from home together has it challenges, but I cannot imagine working a job where she is not right there beside me. I love the in-between task flirtations and small conversations. I love the encouragement and support that she offers me as we work together!