Well, ok, we really didn’t spend the weekend w/ C. J. However, we did hear him preach at Cornerstone Community Church in Knoxville with our friends the Alexanders. Walt is a pastor there, and Beth has been friends w/ his wife Kim since they were back in Jr. High. Waaaaayyyy back in the mid-90’s. They were wonderful host treating us well over the weekend. It was a pleasure to spend time with them chatting, playing cards, and talking about spiritual matters. Walt just graduated from the Sovereign Grace Pastor’s College so we had a good time comparing notes between there and Southern.
On Sunday, C.J. was preaching at their church and it was a blessing for us to hear him. You can download his message at their website, and I recommend that you do. Here are a few of the quotes that I wrote down from his sermon on Acts 4:32 – 6:7:
- “Any offense to God’s swift judgment shows our ignorance of His holiness and our sin”
- Speaking about Ananias and Sapphira, “Ask not ‘why they died’ but ‘why are we still alive?'”
- “The persecution only highlighted [the apostles] joy. This is an unstoppable gospel”
- “God’s favor results in growth which results in change. Changes were required; sacrifice was necessary.”
- “Turn your attention away from exclusively your heart and toward the hearts of others”
Thanks Walt and Kim for a great weekend!!